- NewsBank (6065)
Free garden horse manure
- Busting myths on making a will
IT helps to approach life with a bit of foresight — whether that means setting aside some emergency savings, or always carrying an umbrella when the weather forecast suggests you do.
- Southland District Council business model ‘flawed’
THE Southland District Council has increased its planned deficit by more than 40%, a councillor saying its current business model is ‘‘flawed’’.
- Make a will to safeguard your estate
THE New Zealand Law Society offers advice on how to go about making a will and the importance of it.
- Despite tricky conditions, Observation Rock platform still tracking well
WIND, rain, hail and even snow have not been enough to delay the long-awaited work on Rakiura-Stewart Island’s Observation Rock viewing platform.
- Solid performance not quite enough
AFTER six winless games in the National Provincial Championship, the Southland Stags have a tough assignment this Sunday at 2.05pm against Canterbury in Christchurch.
- ‘It’s called fishing’
WITH the days getting longer, the lawns kicking into gear, lambing and calving behind us — it’s clear that the eagerly awaited fishing season is upon us.
- Buchanan re-signs with AGR Racing
SOUTHLAND motorcycle racer Cormac Buchanan has been re-signed to contest the 2024 FIM JuniorGP World Championship in Europe.
- Southern green hydrogen — bring it on
IT saddens me that while central government has been very active in promoting aquaculture as a means of diversifying away from primary agriculture and Ngai Tahu has lodged for a consent to have the salmon farm, that consent was declined.
- Council approves Sandy Point plan
DEVELOPMENT of Sandy Point is being opened up to public consultation following the Invercargill City Council’s approval of its long-term plan.
- Studio focus on 2-D animation
AN INVERCARGILL man wants to set up an animation studio in Invercargill to create high-quality children’s screen content — and maybe its own Peppa Pig....
Free garden horse...
- Tuapeka Harness Club to host family day
THE Tuapeka Harness Racing Club is bringing its annual Cup Day south to Ascot Park Raceway in Invercargill on Sunday....
- Questions for city mayoral hopefuls Question 1: How would you promote function and unity within the council chambers? Question 2: What are your goals and priorities for the council?
- Business proud to be in Southland Being in business has taught Fi Innovations owner Gareth Dykes resilience and perseverance. He talks to business reporter Riley Kennedy about growing an award-winning business in Southland.
GARETH Dykes has faced his fair share of challenges, but he believes he is a better person and business owner because of them....
- Alpine animal species under threat
RECENT studies have shown climate change is leading to a quarter of New Zealand’s alpine animal species to become extinct within the next 50 years....
- Clear leadership in a crisis In the aftermath of the Awarua Wetlands Fire, Southland Express journalist Toni McDonald is taken behind the scenes to see the inner workings of Fire and Emergency New Zealand’s operations.
AS day breaks, a fleet of helicopters hover like irritating mosquitoes, taunting the raging wall of flame which has thrived unchecked for almost 12 hours across the Awarua Wetland reserve....
- System under pressure
FRONTLINE services are overwhelmed and struggling to address the growing mental health crisis in the city, a local counsellor says....
- New speed limits enforced for high-risk Milford Rd
PLANS to upgrade Fiordland’s Homer Tunnel have had to shift, with originally proposed safety improvements proving too expensive for the Government-funded project....
- ‘I felt unheard and unseen’
A SOUTHLAND woman feels she has been let down by the mental health system....